Saturday 31 January 2009

Understanding the RRS through 2012

Since we are on the subject of books and I realize that a Dutch translation is of limited interest to many of my blog readers, I'm writing this post to tell you about the new book by Dave Perry: Understanding the Racing Rules of Sailing through 2012.


I ordered my copy from the US and it arrived two weeks ago. I've been reading parts of it since then. First of all, this is a very thorough book. It covers everything. From basics principle of how to use the language in sail racing, to the intricacies of rule 18 and 19. Perhaps a bit overwhelming for the beginner, but then again, there's no need to read it from cover to cover in one go. You can use it as a reference book and read parts you're interested in or you have had issue with.

Dave frequently uses the question and answer style; a little fish with a funny nose asks a relevant question and Dave answers it, explaining the rule in the process. Not at all the dry and stuffy style you would expect from a book about 'rules'.

Plenty of pictures, drawn by Brad Dellenbaugh, and clear and complete explanations.

This book is for the sailor who wants to know it all. For the judge who wants to have a clear reference book. It is also very useful for anybody who's first language is not English to get enough practice to be able to express your opinion to an International Jury. It will take some time to read it all, but it is worth it.

If you are just starting out, I would opt for 'Rules in Practice 2009-2012' I reviewed earlier, but if you have a year or two under your belt, this is a very good alternative. In any case - they complement each other very nicely - so there's room for both, on my shelf.

The book can be purchased from US SAILING (http://store.ussailing.org). It took about two weeks to receive it from US SAILING and the shipping and handling was just under US$20. The cost of the book is US$32.50.

3 comments:

  1. I can't speak for free-er markets elsewhere, but for me the UK package with Perry's and Willis' Books for $100 US cheaper than I could get them singly in Australia.

    I Agree that Willis is, by far, the best rules book for beginners, precisely because it does not go into the detail Perry does.

    I've always liked Elvstrom, firstly for the toys (but I'now have about 6 sets of little model boats), and secondly for the case abstracts.

    Why oh why doesn't someone (other than ISAF/MNA/Dave Tallis) make rule-books spiral-bound so they stay flat where you have opened them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jos, I just wanted to inform, that the book Rules in Practice 2009-2012 from Bryan Willis will be available in German language end of March at sailing-media or in the bookshops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is easy and cheap to purchase these books at AMAZON ONLINE SHOP.
    http://www.amazon.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...