Thursday 1 January 2009

Lok en Seine yn it Nije Jier!

First of all let me wish everybody a happy New Year. I hope that it will bring you Luck and Health (that's what the traditional wish in my neck of the woods is)

I have been neglecting to post the last couple of days, partly because I wanted a break and partly because I was busy with other things. The translation is finished, save for last editing and layout. I hope to resume posting on a more regular basis from now on...

Some tidbits from last week:
ISAF has published the members of the committees:
ISAF Committee Members 2009-2012

Congratulations to Winsome and Pinta M from the Netherlands for coming First and Third in Division 4 IRC of the Sydney to Hobart.
http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/default.asp?key=521

Check out the quiz on the UK-Halsey blog on the home page.
I’d be interested to see who can get it ALL right.

A protest from Telefinica Azul against Ericsson 3 in the Volvo Ocean Race


I've received several mails last week to which I haven't replied as of yet. Please be patient, I will try to get to them a.s.a.p. As well as answering to comments...

5 comments:

  1. Veul hail n zegen uut Grun, Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja! I agree with Andrew, Alfie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my response to the Butch Ulmer's quiz:

    Firstly, I can't find any reference to 'give way' in the Racing Rules of Sailing. If this is a quiz about the rules why are you not using the words used in the rules?

    The seven times I can see under the 2009 rules when a STBD boat keeps clear of a PORT boat are:

    1. Rule 13, boat that has tacked from port to stbd but not yet completed keeps clear of a port tack boat.

    2. Rule 13, boat that has tacked from port to stbd but not yet completed keeps clear of another boat that has tacked from port to stbd but not yet completed that is on the first boat's starboard side.

    3. Rule 13, boat that has tacked from port to stbd but not yet completed keeps clear of another boat that has tacked from port to stbd but not yet completed that is clear ahead of the first boat.

    4. Rule 19.2 at a continuing obstruction where there is not room to pass at the moment the overlap begins

    5. Rule 21.1 OCS boat returning

    6. Rule 21.2 boat taking penalty turns

    7. Rule 21.3 boat sailing backwards.

    By the way, I had these listed out before I ran the search on the rules to check.

    Why doesn't the UK Halsey Rules have a search function to help out on this sort of question?


    I also posted a reply in the thread on Butch's Blog

    http://www.ukhalsey.com/blog/author/butch.aspx


    I don't understand how or why you have interpreted an obligation to give another boat mark-room (rule 18.2(a) and (b)) and an obligation about not sailing further than a proper course (rule 18.4) to mean a boat must 'give way' to another boat.

    Room is room. Proper course is proper course. Why confuse things with a term that is not in the rules?

    Brass

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about rule 23 when a starboard tack boat could be penalized for interfering with the port tack boat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm inclined to agree with Dick about rule 23. I think 'interfere' necessarily includes 'keep clear'.

    On the other hand, I don't think that 'avoid' in rule 22 necessarily includes keep clear.

    Anyone got any further thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...